FREE Moving Quotes
Compare from up to 6 movers
Moving trucks: A smart move
At some point or the other one would be faced with the necessity of moving. It doesn’t matter whether you are off to university or if you are moving homes or whether you have got a new job across the state. What holds true is that you have a moving process to deal with. One of the cheapest, sensible, and smartest ways to move is to hire moving trucks. The alternative of using moving trucks turns out to be hassle free and least stress inducing.
Tips to hiring moving trucks
- Decide when you want to move well in advance: Moving trucks are not easily available in the times between May to September as this is peak moving season. If you do want to move during this time then be sure to book your moving trucks well in advance – at least three to four months.
- Self service vs. Full service: Moving trucks come with self service and full service options. In self service you are responsible for packing, loading and unloading on your own as also the actual driving to the destination. You could opt to do the packing and loading and unloading yourself and hire the services of a driver. This is another type of self service option available. In the full service option all the process of moving from packing, loading, unloading and driving is left to the moving truck rental company. Self service is cheaper and gives you more control whereas full service frees up your time and leaves some of the headache of the moving process on the moving trucks rental company.
- Picking the right size: It is important that you pick a right sized truck for moving. Moving trucks come in a variety of sizes and you should pick one that will safely move all your belongings in one trip. At the same time picking moving trucks that are oversized is unwise because you will have to incur additional expense. The moving trucks rental companies will help you in selecting the right sized truck for your needs.
- Insurance: There is always a risk of accidents on the road. It is sensible to inquire with your insurance provider whether you are covered for moving trucks. If not you can take additional insurance from the moving trucks rental company.
- Research: Before choosing a moving trucks rental company it is sensible to do a good amount of research. Since a lot of the booking process has moved online it has become easier for you to do the research. Be sure to compare the rates offered by various moving trucks rental companies before you choose one. Some of the companies offering moving trucks for rental are Penske, Budget, Ryder and U-haul.
- Friends come handy: If you are planning to go in for the self service option and handle all the process of moving on your own, it would be helpful if you could ask some friends to lend you a hand. Also when doing research be sure to ask around with friends who may have used a particular company and take feedback from them.
- Cost is not everything: When choosing your moving trucks rental company, don’t go with the cheapest rental without checking if you are getting trucks that are in good condition and with the latest safety features. There is no sense in going in for a company where the moving trucks on offer are in a worn down condition, as not only will this make your journey fraught with greater risk of accident, but you should also understand that an unsought breakdown in strange territory can be quite distressing.