FREE Moving Quotes
Compare from up to 6 movers
Local Moving Companies
Local Movers: Getting Dependable Help
There are many things one needs to consider when moving. You want all your belongings transferred safely. You want pets and vehicles relocated without any hitch. You want to make a happy transition to your new community or locality and to your new job if any. The amount of work required to carry out a proper move is extensive and it is very tiring and cumbersome in nature. This is why a lot of people enlist professional help and get local movers. This is one of the most sensible things one can do because these moving companies have the experience and the know how to carry out the move in an efficient and safe manner.
A local move is considered one that occurs within the state and within a 100 mile radius. Local movers are available a-plenty; however the task is how to get the right ones.
Even before you hire them
- Decide when you want to move: Moving companies are busiest between May to September as also on weekends. If you want to avoid the rush, either plan your move on other days, or else be prepared to book the local movers at least three to four months in advance.
- Plan and Organize: Before you start out hiring local movers you need to be sure of what your moving needs are and what kind of services you will need to enlist. You need to make an inventory of all the furniture and belongings that require moving. You need to co-ordinate with your utility providers and give them cut-off dates so that the utilities are shut on time. You need to return library books and stuff that you may have borrowed from your neighbors. You need to dispose off all the excess clutter that you may have lying around in the house. You should also dispose of those things that are inexpensive and can be purchased at your new place of residence. What this will do is to reduce the load of items to be transported which will save you money on moving expenses.
- Preparing for packing: If you plan to do the packing on your own it is important that you collect adequate materials and boxes required for packing. You need to get several sturdy boxes. You can pick these up at local retail stores or grocery stores as these places are always throwing out their excess boxes. They will be only too glad to give them to you. Also collect old newspapers as these will come in handy when packing. See that you have adequate amounts of duct tape and a collection of labels. See that you have a sharp knife that will come in handy for opening boxes when unpacking.
Finding the right mover
- Listening to the grapevine: To find the right local movers you need to inquire amongst your friends, relatives, and associates. You should be able to get a good amount of references from these sources and this can serve as a start.
- Looking up the Yellow Pages: The Yellow Pages are another very good place to look for local movers.
- Web Wise: The Internet is the best place to find local movers and moving companies, the hunt online will work in your benefit, Movers.net is a great source to get online estimates in order to compare and save on your move.
- Checking up background:Use the Better Business Bureau to find out details about local movers that you may be considering. This is a great resource to find out the reputation of the local movers.
- Getting estimates: Local movers will be only too happy to give you estimates. However, avoid getting phone estimates. Instead get the company representative to come to your home and give you the moving estimate. Ask for a binding estimate as this is an accurate estimate and is binding on the mover under consideration
- Other things: Ask the local movers about the status of their insurance and what kind of services they offer. Find out if they have storage facilities available that may come of use to you during the moving process.