FREE Moving QuotesCompare from up to 6 movers
International Movers: Helping You Move Overseas
Some of us are faced with the task of moving from one country to another. We are faced with the prospect of entering a new country with different customs and languages. While we are wondering how we will adjust to our new place of residence, we need to be free of the hassles of shifting our belongings from our current place of residence to the new place. This is where international movers come in.
International movers are adept at helping you make the transition smoothly. They help with the packing, unpacking loading, unloading. They arrange for transport of your goods to the airport or port for shipping.
They ship the goods for you. The modes of transportation chosen are either Motor freight carrier, or Railroad, or Steamship line, or Airline. Once your shipment has been prepared for loading, it will be placed inside one or more containers. These containers could be either lift vans, or steamship containers or air containers.
International movers arrange for transfer of goods to the next carrier and ultimately finally delivered to your new home. They arrange for your shipment to be cleared through customs and arrange to cover any duties levied.
International movers provide additional insurance that you may take to ensure the safety of your belongings.
How to go about selecting and finding an international mover?
- Internet: The best way to hunt for international movers is to surf online. There you will find a number of websites that guide you to innumerous international movers.
- Friends and Family: Another way to find good international movers is by asking around within your friends and family circle.
Things to remember:
- Experience: When choosing international movers see that the company has been in business for at least five years. Another thing you should do is check the credentials of the company with the Better Business Bureau.
- International Coverage: It is important for you to inquire with the international moving company whether they cover the country that you are planning to relocate to. Not all companies cover all destinations. So be particular and find that out first
- Warehousing: You may need to have your shipment warehoused before you pick it up. You need to find out if your international movers have this kind of facility available or not.
- Additional services: Some international movers offer additional services such as travel bookings and accommodation arrangements
- International Movers Associations: There are a number of international movers associations operating worldwide. One of the better known international movers associations around is the FIATA – Fédération Internationale des Associations de Transitaires et Assimilés – - – International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations. Another association is FIDI – International Federation of International Furniture Removers. Another association is IATA - International Air Transport Association. It is important that your international movers are part of at least a few of these associations as this means that you are assured of quality service and also you have the association to refer to in case of some disputes.
- Cost: When selecting international movers you need to compare prices so as to get the best bargain. Get quotes from at least 3 to 5 licensed, professional companies make sure they come to your home to see what you have to move so you can get an accurate estimate. Try and get a binding estimate if possible.
Movers.net advice to you is that it is very important to give some thought when choosing your international movers as you would not want your precious belongings damaged and want additional stress brought on by poor management of the international move.