FREE Moving Quotes
Compare from up to 6 movers
Moving cost: Adding up everything
In these recessionary times, money is hard to come by. It is not easy to make ends meet and no matter what your financial situation, everyone feels the pinch these days. This is why all families are living with stringent budgets and planning each expense carefully. Like all big events, moving can also turn out to be an expensive affair. If you want to be smart and savvy about saving money during moving you need to keep a clear head and plan things carefully. The moving cost goes up in unplanned or poorly planned moves. Hence organization is the key factor that keeps moving cost low and manageable.
What are the factors that go into determining your moving cost?
Moving companies give you an estimate based on their calculation of how much it is going to cost them to move your belongings. They determine this by adding up quite a few things. Firstly they consider the cost of labor. The going rate is 25$ per person per hour. Hence your moving cost will be a reflection of the number of people required to move your belongings.
- Distance to be covered: Moving companies also keep in mind the cost of transportation both in terms of gas as well in terms of wear and tear.
- Packing needs: Depending on the size of your rooms and the quantum of materials and belongings, moving companies would need different amounts of packing material and different types of packing material. They factor these costs in when giving you an estimate.
Other things that you should count as adding up to your moving cost.
- Storage costs: You can obtain storage services from your moving company for temporary or long term purposes before you have made a clean transition to your new place of residence. Your costs will vary with the amount of space you require to store your belongings. Thus storage services add to your moving cost.
- Insurance: When you buy additional insurance in order to cover all your items you bear additional expenses which you must factor in to your moving cost.
- Cost of transportation of family: Whether you travel by road, rail, or air, it will cost you just to reach your new residence. This is something you must factor in to your moving cost.
- Cost of food or eatables: During your trip to your new residence you may stop for refreshments and dining along the way. These costs must be added to your moving cost.
- Temporary lodging: If your trip is going to take more than a day you may need to stay over at some hotel for the night. This is one more thing that will add to your moving cost.
- Reconnecting utilities: In your new place of residence you will have to pay a charge for connecting new utilities and this will be part of your moving cost.
How to reduce your moving cost.
- Organize yourself: You must be very organized in your approach when moving. You must make a clear inventory of essentials that must be moved. Any item that you can do without must be discarded. You can get rid of all your clutter and junk by holding a yard sale or you can even donate items away to charity. The less you need to transport the less will be your moving cost.
- Packing supplies: If you want to save money you may choose to do the packing on your own rather than entrust the responsibility on the moving company. In this case you can reduce the cost of packing supplies by sourcing them in places where you will get them cheap. Boxes can be picked up at very cheap rates at your local grocery store or retail stores as they are getting rid of their excess boxes all the time. You can also save money by using newspaper for packing rather than packing paper thereby reducing your moving cost.