FREE Moving QuotesCompare from up to 6 movers
Cross Country Movers
Cross Country Movers
Moving in general can prove to be a very consuming task, especially if you are moving across the country. There are many tasks involved when organizing and going through a moving process, and it can seem very overwhelming. For these situations, there are plenty of professional moving services who specialize in handling cross country moves.
Rather than attempting to handle the moving process on your own, we recommend you allow professionals to handle a job. Though hiring a service will cost you more than it would cost you to relocate on your own, but at the same time there are ways you can save money when hiring movers.
- Organize yourself: Organization is key, the best advice we can give you is that you need to become extremely organized in your approach to your moving process. Prepare exhaustive lists of all the items that need moving. Determine what items you want to move, and what you want do dispose of, and then prepare a list of all the delicate items in your possession.
- Dispose: Determine what belongings you want to get rid of well before you start packing. There is generally a lot of clutter that accumulates in houses over the years, and before moving its the perfect time to get rid of what you don’t need. You can get rid of belongings by organizing a garage sale, and make some money along the way. When you have lightened your load thus, you will save a considerable amount as you would have reduced the items required to be moved. The lighter your load is, the less you will be paying to have it transported.
- Packing supplies: Most movers are efficient and systematic in their packing methods if you have chosen to hand over the task of packing to them. However, you do get charged for the boxes they provide. So doing the packing on your own can help cut costs on your move. You could visit your local grocery store or your local retail stores, they generally have quite a number of boxes to dispose of which they will give you at throw-away rates. Another thing that you can do is to collect newspapers that you can use to pad your items instead of the expensive bubble wrap provided by the company. This is a great way to save a little more on your moving process.
- Storage: Some moving services charge you less if have them store your belongings for some time. This is because they can combine loads from various families and transport the loads all at once saving on transportation and manpower costs. If you do not require to have your belongings right away you could agree to this as a few days late arrival of your belongings might just save you money.
- Rates and Estimates: Like all things in life, costs vary from mover to mover. Not all movers give you good rates. You need to get estimates from three to five movers and compare them before you decide on which of the cross country movers you find suitable for your needs.