FREE Moving Quotes
Compare from up to 6 movers
Cross Country Movers
Cross Country Movers: Making the Right Choice
Moving can be a very strenuous affair. Ask those who have gone through the process of moving their belongings and baggage across states and you will find that there are many different opinions and stories that you will hear. Some people may have had a good moving experience whereas others may have had a harrowing time. This is where you need to be smart and decide whether you want the stress of a DIY project which is full of hassle and risk or do you want a relaxed and comfortable moving experience. Cross country movers can be a great help when moving and these professional companies handle all the chores associated with moving thus leaving you to breathe easy.
Remember Movers.net say it is better to allow professionals to handle a job that they have been trained for rather than trying to do it all yourself. At the same time there are ways you can save money when hiring cross country movers. Here are some ideas.
- Organize yourself: The best advice I can give you is that you need to become extremely organized in your approach when moving. Prepare exhaustive lists of all the items that need moving. Determine what kind of moveable or immoveable furniture you have. Prepare a list of all the delicate items in your possession.
- Dispose: Once you have prepared your basic lists take some time out to prepare another list – that of things that you can throw away. There is generally a lot of clutter that accumulates in houses over the years. Determine what the useless clutter in your house is and throw it away. You can organize a garage sale to sell off all the stuff that you don’t need. When you have lightened your load thus, you will save a considerable amount as you would have reduced the items required to be moved. In fact if you think you can manage, dispose of the large furniture in your house and buy new furniture at your new place of residence. With a little bit of smart shopping you could actually save money.
- Packing supplies: Cross country movers are efficient and systematic in their packing methods if you have chosen to hand over the packing to them. However you get charged for the boxes they provide and if you want to save money one way is to organize packing boxes yourself. You could visit your local grocery store or your local retail stores. They generally have quite a number of boxes to dispose off which they will give you at throw-away rates. Another thing that you can do is to collect newspapers that you can use to pack your items instead of the expensive bubble wrap provided by the company. Thus you could make a substantial saving when hiring cross country movers.
- Storage: Some cross country movers charge you less if you give them the option of storing your goods for sometime. This is because they can combine loads from various families and transport the loads all at once saving on transportation and manpower costs. If you do not require your belongings in a hurry you could agree to this as a few days late arrival of your belongings might just save you money.
- Rates and Estimates: Like all things in life, costs vary from mover to mover. Not all movers give you good rates. You need to get estimates from three to five movers and compare them before you decide on which of the cross country movers you find suitable for your needs.